Alberta Council on Academic Integrity
Statement Against Racism on Matters Relating to Academic Integrity
Statement release date: June 4, 2020
Academic integrity cannot co-exist with injustice. The Alberta Council on Academic Integrity denounces racism in all forms. This includes:
- Negative stereotyping of students from particular countries or cultures.
- Racially biased reporting of academic misconduct that either implicitly or explicitly targets students of colour, students for whom English is not a first language and other racialized minorities.
- Excessively harsh sanctioning of academic misconduct among racialized minorities.
We call upon all educators, administrators, and institutions to:
- Acknowledge that particular groups of students are over-represented in academic misconduct reporting.
- Speak out against racial stereotypes that persist against Black, Asian, Middle Eastern, Latinx, and Indigenous students with regards to academic misconduct.
- Ensure that reporting of academic integrity violations is consistent across the student body and breaches are addressed in fair and equitable ways.
- Collect institutional academic misconduct data on racialized minorities in order to identify, prevent, and pro-actively address racial bias in reporting and sanctioning of students who are not white or for whom English is not their first language.
The Alberta Council on Academic Integrity was established in 2019 to promote and advocate for academic integrity across Alberta. Questions about this statement can be directed to members of the Steering Committee.
Download a .pdf version of this statement:
Alberta Council on Academic Integrity – Statement Against Racism 2020-06-04
Main page – Alberta Council on Academic Integrity 2020.
2 thoughts on “Statement Against Racism”
Comments are closed.